An essential survival guide for parents whose children suffer with persistent and often debilitating pain
Approximately ten million children are living with chronic pain. Most people would be surprised at such numbers, but for the parents of these children, the challenge of helping a pain-stricken child live a normal life is a frightening and frustrating reality. Chronic pain in children can manifest as abdominal, migraine, or facial pain. It also stems from a wide variety of disorders such as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, cystic fibrosis, hemophilia, and childhood cancers. No matter what type of chronic pain the child suffers with, a parent must be armed with an understanding of how a child's expression and experience of pain differs from an adult's.
Trained in pediatric anesthesia and intensive care at Boston Children's Hospital, Dr. Elliot Krane has devoted his entire professional life to refining and innovating techniques, strategies, and therapies to relieve the suffering of children with pain. In his book, Relieve Your Child's Chronic Pain, parents will find the information and tools they need to get the very best care for their child. It will help you:
• Recognize, measure, and evaluate your child's pain properly
• Learn about the many alternative pain-management approaches that can be used at home
• Dispel fears about addiction if your child is prescribed a narcotic
• Find an appropriate pain-management clinic for your child
• Reduce the stress and anxiety in the home in a way that benefits the entire family
You may not always be able to eliminate chronic pain entirely, but you can succeed in minimizing your child's suffering.