• $4.99

Publisher Description

The History of Tasmania: Two Volumes Annotated by John West.

The first reported sighting of Tasmania by a European was on 24 November 1642 by the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman, who named the island Anthoonij van Diemenslandt, after his sponsor, the Governor of the Dutch East Indies. The name was later shortened to Van Diemen's Land by the British. In 1772, a French expedition led by Marc-Joseph Marion du Fresne landed on the island. Captain James Cook also sighted the island in 1777, and numerous other European seafarers made landfalls, adding a colourful array to the names of topographical features.

The author takes this opportunity to thank the gentlemen who have allowed him, for several years, the use of their works on the colonies, and valuable original papers; especially the trustees of Lady Franklin's Museum, Messrs. R. Lewis, Hone, Gunn, Joseph Archer, Henty, P. Roberts, Wooley, and Pitcairn.

This work includes a section on Tasmanian Zoology; and a useful list of the chief places in this country.

GENRE
History
RELEASED
2014
9 May
LANGUAGE
EN
English
LENGTH
1,143
Pages
PUBLISHER
BookRix
SELLER
Bookwire GmbH
SIZE
2.7
MB

More Books by John West