"It will not disappoint . . ." —Ian McKellen, from the Foreword
An Authoritative Training Manual for Film Actors and Teachers
“In today's entertainment industry of buff bodies and beautiful faces, it's easy to think that a couple of sit-ups and high cheek bones can create a movie legend,” writes film veteran Cathy Haase. However, she adds, what the actor really must have are “technique, craft, and a depth of self-knowledge.” In Acting for Film, Second Edition, Haase shows actors how to develop all of these, sharing her secrets (developed through years of on-camera work) for creating characters who come alive and who touch the souls of the audience.
Readers will learn how to apply theatrical training to film acting and hone a personal approach to rendering a character. Acting for Film, Second Edition, is an essential guide for aspiring performers, acting teachers, and anyone interested in gaining a greater understanding of the craft. This new edition includes:
• Advice on dealing with new technology including CGI and motion capture
• Concentration and relaxation exercises that will enhance facial expressiveness
• Exploration of sense memory techniques for on-camera work
• Animal exercises and their usages
• Tips for maintaining proper eye focus in front of the camera and conveying the “beats” of a scene, even in the shortest takes
For any performer who intends to make a living in front of the camera, Acting for Film, Second Edition, is the most authoritative resource! With Haase’s experience and advice in their pocket, readers will be prepared to land the film role they’ve been dreaming of.