The definitive guide to writing scenes--now revised and expanded!
Scenes are the building blocks for any work of fiction--the DNA sequence that makes a novel un-put-downable and unforgettable. When writers are able to craft effective, engaging scenes, they can develop a complete, cohesive story--and a mesmerizing experience for readers.
Make a Scene Revised and Expanded Edition takes you step-by-step through the elements of strong scene construction and demonstrates how the essential aspects of a compelling story--including character, plot and dramatic tension--function within the framework of individual scenes to give momentum to the whole narrative. You'll learn how to:
• Craft an opening scene that hooks readers and foreshadows conflict.
• Develop various scene types--from contemplative to suspenseful to flashback--that are distinct and purposeful.
• Establish characters' intentions within a scene that drive the plot.
• Transition into new scenes by clearly establishing details of setting, character, and point of view.
• Create resonating climactic and final scenes that stay with readers long after they've finished your story.
The revised and expanded edition includes brand-new examples, an increased focus on advancing plot and character development, and the same knowledge and clarity that writers have come to expect from Jordan Rosenfeld. Make a Scene is an essential part of any novelist's library--make sure it's in yours.