Praise for the previous edition of Prairie:
"Impelled with its sense of the miraculous in nature."
—Globe and Mail
Candace Savage’s acclaimed and beautifully written guide to the ecology of the prairies, now revised and updated.
This revised edition of Prairie features a new preface along with updated research on the effects of climate change on an increasingly vulnerable landscape.
It also offers new information on:
· conservation of threatened species, including the black-tailed prairie dog and farmland birds;
· grassland loss and conservation;
· the health of rivers and the water table;
· the effects of neonicotinoid insecticides on prairie wetlands;
· the benefits of regenerative agriculture.
Illustrated with elegant black-and-white line drawings and maps, this award-winning tome continues to be a highly readable guide to understanding the ecology, geological history, biodiversity, and resilience of the prairies.