When girl meets Duke, their marriage breaks all the rules…
Since his return from war, the Duke of Ashbury’s to-do list has been short and anything but sweet: brooding, glowering, menacing London ne’er-do-wells by night. Now there’s a new item on the list. He needs an heir—which means he needs a wife. When Emma Gladstone, a vicar’s daughter turned seamstress, appears in his library wearing a wedding gown, he decides on the spot that she’ll do.
His terms are simple:
- They will be husband and wife by night only.
- No lights, no kissing.
- No questions about his battle scars.
- Last, and most importantly… Once she’s pregnant with his heir, they need never share a bed again.
But Emma is no pushover. She has a few rules of her own:
- They will have dinner together every evening.
- With conversation.
- And unlimited teasing.
- Last, and most importantly… Once she’s seen the man beneath the scars, he can’t stop her from falling in love…
APPLE BOOKS REVIEW
Tessa Dare melds Cinderella with Beauty and the Beast in this breathtaking historical fairy tale. Seamstress Emma Gladstone is rescued from poverty by the badly scarred, misanthropic Duke of Ashbury. Their arrangement? She can be his duchess as long as she expects no affection from him—and gives him an heir. The Duchess Deal isn’t a gothic romance, though. Frothy and lighthearted, this novel is brimming with madcap humor and intense passion. We loved how Emma's impetuous nature and gentle teasing slowly draw the "beastly" Ash out from his sullen funk.