This book traces the history of the TISDALL FAMILY OF CHARLESFORT from about 1630 up to the present day. Charlefort was the name of the house built by the Tisdalls c. 1740 and replaced their old residence known as MOUNT TISDALL. Their estates were mainly in MARTRY, NEAR KELLS IN CO. MEATH. They came into possession of other smaller lots of lands in Co. Limerick and Co. Kilkenny over the centuries. Michael Tisdall, born in 1637, was the man who set the foundations for wealth. Because many of the Tisdall heirs died very young no other man of similar ability to Michael 1st became head of the family until the arrival of John Tisdall (1815-1892). However by that time the political landscape in Ireland had changed dramatically and the GREAT FAMINE OF 1845-49 coupled with agrarian unrest in the latter part of the century limited any further achievement.