Dr. Berry Sears developed the Zone Diet® based on the premise that healthy diets must include a balance of fats, carbohydrates and proteins in order to reach and maintain a healthy weight.
The recipes found in this book have been developed and selected especially for the Zone Diet® and are based on the formula designed by Dr. Sears: 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat per meal or snack. You will find the nutritional information included for each recipe in this book meets those requirements.
You will also find some complete meal recipes, marked with a ♦ symbol, in this book which makes it easier for the dieter to select and prepare meals. We’ve also included some snacks to help with following daily eating guidelines.
Dr. Sears maintains that the major keys to losing weight are keeping the blood sugar stable and maintaining a proper hormone balance. He feels that elevated insulin, a hormone that helps to control blood sugar promotes inflammation, which in turn, adds pounds to our bodies. Keeping insulin levels “in the Zone” is accomplished by eating the right foods in the right portions and proportions at every meal.
Keeping yourself in the Zone requires that some simple rules are followed:
* Eat a meal sometime within the first hour of waking up
* Eat at least once within every five hours of time
* Have a bedtime snack
* Stick to the 30% fat, 30% protein and 40% carb limitations per meal and snack
* Always eat 3 meals and 2 snacks every single day
* Schedule consistent, but moderate, exercise, such as 30 minutes of aerobics per day
* Consider starches as “extras” at meals and snacks, not part of the meal
* Avoid high sugar fruits and vegetables, red meats and egg yolks
* Manage calories: Women=1200 per day; Men=1500 per day
While the Zone Diet® is not a fast weight loss diet, you can still expect to lose about 1.5 pounds the first week and a steady amount of about one pound per week thereafter, if you follow the rules above. What you will not lose on the Zone Diet® is fat, rather than muscle or water. You will see the most dramatic change in the way your clothes fit rather than on the scales when you weight.
The Zone Diet® is also good for those who prefer vegan, gluten-free or low-salt, because it focuses so much on fresh, non-starchy, low-sugar fruits and vegetables, as well as poultry and fish.
As with any diet, before you adopt the Zone Diet® as your eating plan, check with a health professional to make sure the diet is right for you.
Pick up your copy today... Enjoy!