- 9,99 €
Beschreibung des Verlags
"Old doesn't mean out-dated."
• Annotated with thoughts for the modern horseman
• Includes 5 original chapters by John Lyons Certified Trainer Keith Hosman
• In all, 44 tricks plus an addendum containing a fix for "Biting Horses"
This book brings together public domain material written by G.H. Sutherland, MD and by me, Keith Hosman. It is published in two sections. The first is a collection of dozens of tricks you can teach your horse and was written in 1861 by Dr. Sutherland. The second contains five "feats" I put to paper after finding them to be quite popular at my training clinics. You will also find a fix for horses that bite, should they get nippy following some of the training which calls for the horse to pick objects up with its mouth and the like.
I have annotated Dr. Sutherland's work. That’s a fancy way of saying that I read through his material, then added comment to each chapter based on personal experiences, modern thinking and techniques. Know that, while they may be short, each observation or insight was placed with care; each can make big changes fast somewhere in your training. I daresay you just might recoup the cost of this book somewhere in that sea of italicized notes.
Still, why should you lay down your hard-earned cash for a horse-training book written generations ago? Because author G.H. Sutherland could train horses to do tricks that you'd like to learn -- and when something works, it works. Besides, in all this time, what's really changed? It's still a human using the same simple tools to teach a horse to do the same maneuvers.
NOTE: The free or cheap copies of "Dr. Sutherland's System of Educating the Horse" found elsewhere online are poorly scanned-in, blurry and very difficult to read. The material you'll find here in my book has been reformatted for the modern era. More importantly, I've annotated the material ("added comments") and included 6 additional chapters written by myself. See for yourself in the Table of Contents, which follow.
Table of Contents:
DR. SUTHERLAND'S SYSTEM OF EDUCATING THE HORSE With Rules for Teaching the Horse Some 40 Different Tricks or Feats
- TO COME WHEN CALLED
- TO MAKE A BOW
- TO SHAKE HANDS
- TO KNOCK ON THE DOOR
- TO STAND ON A TABLE
- TO CIRCLE AROUND
- TO JUMP THE WHIP
- TO JUMP THROUGH THE HOOP
- TO LIE DOWN
- TO KNEEL DOWN
- TO SIT UP
- TO SIT UP--ANOTHER METHOD
- TO WALK ON THREE LEGS
- TO STAND ON HIND LEGS
- TO WALK ON HIND LEGS
- TO SAY YES
- TO SAY NO
- TO WALTZ
- TO PICK UP THINGS
- TO HOLD THINGS
- TO CARRY AND FETCH THINGS
- TO TAKE OFF CAP, COAT AND MITTENS
- TO UNBUCKLE SADDLE GIRTH AND TAKE OFF SADDLE
- TO OPEN AND SHUT THE DOOR
- TO PUMP WATER
- TO FIRE OFF A PISTOL
- TO RING THE BELL
- TO FIND HIDDEN THINGS
- TO TELL HIS ABCs
- TO COUNT OR SELECT DIFFERENT NUMBERS
- TO SPELL
- TO READ
- TO ANSWER ANY QUESTION IN THE MULTIPLICATION TABLE
- TO ADD, SUBTRACT, MULTIPLY AND DIVIDE
- TO BRING THE CARDS CALLED FOR
- TO TELL HIS AGE, DAYS IN THE WEEK, MONTHS IN THE YEAR, ETC.
- TO TELL FORTUNE
- TO PLAY CARDS
- TO PASS AROUND THE HAT
"A Handful of Feats" as originally penned by Keith Hosman
- Teach a Horse to Sidepass Toward You On the Ground
- Teach Your Horse to Lower His Head While Standing
- Teach Horse to Pick Up Its Feet when You Point
- Teach Your Horse to Come to You (Using a Roundpen)
- Teach Your Horse to Load Into a Trailer - From Some Distance
Fixing "Biting Horses"