In art history, literature and cultural studies, Orientalism is the imitation or depiction of aspects in the Eastern world. These depictions are usually done by writers, designers, and artists from the West. In particular, Orientalist painting, depicting more specifically "the Middle East".
Check out the stories with this theme selected by the critic August Nemo:
- The Rajah's Treasure by H. G. Wells
- The Man Who Would Be King by Rudyard Kipling
- Tajima by Miss Mitford
- A Chinese Girl Graduate by R. K. Douglas
- The Revenge Of Her Race by Mary Beaumont
- King Billy Of Ballarat by Morley Roberts
- Thy Heart's Desire by Netta Syrett
For more books with interesting themes, be sure to check the other books in this collection!