Jason and the Golden Fleece is the second book in the Early Myths collection, a series of children's picture books on Greek myth. Each book covers a character from mythology and brings the tale to life through illustrations and story-telling, with inspiration from ancient art and literature. The books are aimed at 4 to 10 year olds, are beautifully designed and easy to read.
The myth of Jason tells one of the oldest stories from Greek mythology. Jason tries to win back the throne, stolen from his father, but is challenged to a dangerous adventure to prove his skills. He gathers the greatest of the heroes, constructs a ship called the Argo and sails to the edges of the known world to attempt to win the fabled Fleece. Along the way he takes on the winged Harpies, fire-breathing bulls and a dangerous serpent. Can he win the heart of the local princess and reclaim the throne for his family back in Greece?
For teachers and parents, we have a notes section at the back, describing how our illustrations have been inspired by ancient Greek vase-painting, sculptures, and early literature. The kids don’t need to know this aspect to enjoy the tale, but the grown-ups can learn about how we have taken time and care to construct our book, using the early historical sources, rather than simply repeat a generic version of the myth.
Awards for our Early Myths collection:
- Perseus: bronze medal winner at the Moonbeam Children's Book Awards 2014
- Odysseus: honourable mention at the Royal Dragonfly Book Awards 2015
- Odysseus: finalist in the Wishing Shelf Book Awards 2015
- Atalanta: silver medal at the Moonbeam Children's Book Awards 2016
- Atalanta: honourable mention at Purple Dragonfly Book Awards 2016
- Atalanta: finalist at the Readers' Favorite Awards 2016
- Herakles: 1st prize for illustrations and 6+ picture book at the Dragonfly Books Awards 2017
- Herakles: gold award at the Royal Dragonfly Book Awards 2017
- Herakles: silver medalist in the Wishing Shelf Children’s Books Awards 2017
- Theseus: best illustrations at Purple Dragonfly Book Awards 2018
- Theseus: honourable Mention in Picture Books (5 and younger category) at the Purple Dragonfly Book Awards 2018
Unusual version but good
Not the version I was used to but the notes at the back explain the choices.
Another good tale for juniors looking to learn about the old myths.
Great to see second in the series
Great story well told for the young mind and the audio is really good.
Nice images, story and narration. What's not to like. My grandkids loved it.