- 28,99 €
This book explores and explains scientific mysteries and principles, leavened with tongue-in-cheek humor and an abundance of illustrations. Chapters are short, but give an understanding of technology and science not available elsewhere. Questions include:
• What holds a satellite up while it goes around the Earth?
• Why is the sky (made out of clear air!) blue instead of green, or just black as night like the sky that high altitude jumper Felix Baumgartner saw?
• How is laser light different from “normal” light?
• Did Columbus really discover that the Earth is round?
• Which one invention will assuredly survive our civilization?
• Why can’t you travel back in time?
If you often feel embarrassed because you don’t have a clue about lasers, the difference between volts, amps and watts, or how jet planes really work – but you would like to understand the physical principles of our modern world, whether you’re a teen or a parent – this book is for you!
To understand the basics of quantum mechanics, or of protons, neutrons and electrons, you don’t need algebra, calculus,
or a lot of equations or technical buzzwords. Too many people have been soured on science by science teachers who have made simple concepts seem complex. This book is the antidote: all it requires is your curiosity.
Advance praise for No Wonder You Wonder!:
“From beginning to end, and with laugh after laugh, I en
joyed every single word of this remarkable book. Phipps is a hell of a good writer, and the kind of physics teacher that I would have loved as a young student. No Wonder You Wonder can be engrossing for anyone with a bit of curiosity, not just the scientific minded.” – Christophe Bonnal, Chief Engineer, CNES (French Space Agency)
“No Wonder You Wonder is a fa
ntastic book. Covering topics such as space, matter, and the energy within the universe, this book does an excellent job of clarifying these topics. It's a great read for young scientists and aspiring physicists.” – August R., high school freshman