Black v. General Electric Company
WI.178 , 278 N.W.2d 224, 2d 195 (1979)(89 Wis)
On February 11, 1973, a fire completely destroyed the summer home of Dexter and Nancy Black located on Brown's Lake. On February 14, 1973, Deputy State Fire Marshall Kermit Krupka (Krupka) met with members of the Burlington Fire Department and conducted an on-site investigation. The investigation indicated that the fire had started from the lower level of the summer home. In this area, the Blacks kept a 19-inch, black and white portable General Electric television set which they had purchased new September 16, 1966. The set had never been serviced or caused any problems prior to the fire. Possible causes of the fire, such as forcible entry, arson, explosion, gas leaks, furnace or malfunction of other utilities were eliminated. The remains of the television set were found in the area where the fire had begun. The fly-back transformer for the television set was composed of copper wiring and designed to increase the electrical current to high voltage to illuminate the picture tube. It was found that the copper windings in the transformer had melted due to arcing and high heat. Other copper wiring in the set leading to the transformer had not melted.