- 49,00 kr
Set in a topsy-turvy world like a holiday revel, this comedy devises a romantic plot around separated twins, misplaced passions, and mistaken identity. Juxtaposed to it is the satirical story of a self-deluded steward who dreams of becoming “Count Malvolio” only to receive his comeuppance at the hands of the merrymakers he wishes to suppress. The two plots combine to create a farce touched with melancholy, mixed throughout with seductively beautiful explorations on the themes of love and time, and the play ends, not with laughter, but with a clown’s sad song.
Each Edition Includes:
• Comprehensive explanatory notes
• Vivid introductions and the most up-to-date scholarship
• Clear, modernized spelling and punctuation, enabling contemporary readers to understand the Elizabethan English
• Completely updated, detailed bibliographies and performance histories
• An interpretive essay on film adaptations of the play, along with an extensive filmography
Bruce Coville's latest adaptation of one of the Bard's masterpieces, William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, illus. by Tim Raglin, will forsooth elicit applause-and laughter-from youngsters as it transports them to ancient Illyria where not all is as it appears. With an abundance of quotations from the original play plus smooth scene transitions, the accessible narrative reveals the plot's ample comical convolutions, put into merry motion with the shipwrecked Viola's decision to disguise herself as a young man to gain entry into the court of Duke Orsino. Raglin's earth-toned, etching-like art enhances the robust humor with its caricature portraits of the players.