What is Gastritis?
Gastritis is a disease which is caused by inflammation of the stomach lining.
It may presents as gastritis , peptic gastric ulcer or if it extends to the duodenum(first part of small intestine) duodenal ulcers.
What are the causes of Gastritis?
Two main causes are
1. helicobacter pylori infection - these bacteria damages the protective lining of the stomach making the underlying stomach tissue more vulnerable to the acidic gastric juice.
2. excessive production of acidic gastric juice
Excessive production of acidic gastric juice burns into the protective lining of the stomach and cause inflammation of the underlying stomach tissue.
The causes of excessive production of acidic gastric juice are:
1. Most common is stress and anxiety which automatically increase the production of the acid as a result of sympathetic nervous reaction
2. hereditary- some gastric patient has family history of gastric problem. Blood group O tends to have more gastritis while Blood group A has a tendency towards stomach cancer.
3. irregular meals tend to cause more acidic gastric juice to form at regular meal time.
4. alcohol and smoking has been associated with increased acid formation
5. Drugs: prolonged use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin or ibuprofen,
6. diseases, such as pernicious anemia, autoimmune disorders, and chronic bile reflux, can cause gastritis as well.
What are the Symptoms of Gastritis?
The most common symptoms are
1. upper abdominal upset or pain.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Chapter 1 Dyspepsia
Chapter 2 Gastritis
Chapter 3 Peptic Ulcer
Chapter 4 Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease
Chapter 5 Pyloric Stenosis
Chapter 6, Gastric Cancer
Chapter 7 Hiatus Hernia
Chapter 8 Bezoars
Chapter 9 Hiccups
Chapter 10 Epilogue