Who Is the Main Person on Your Medical Team Now?
It is you. Prior to leaving the hospital, you were at the center of a flurry of activity, surrounded by a busy health care team – physicians, surgeons, and nurses. The surgery is over now, and you're home. It is quiet. Now, you become the most important member on your health care team.
Author Rosalind Benedet understands the concerns and questions you now have as you begin this phase of your recovery. An oncology nurse, she has worked with hundreds of women who have undergone mastectomies. In After Mastectomy, she gently guides you through recovery, both physically and emotionally. Among the many topics she covers:
• Adjusting emotionally and overcoming depression
• Choosing a breast form and undergarments
• Follow-up treatment – chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, and radiation
• Reconstruction options
• Resuming sexual relations
• Preventing lymphedema – swelling of the arm
• Exercises to regain arm mobility and increase energy
• Optimum nutrition for healing
Your Guide to What Happens After Your Surgery