American community colleges are a great choice for international students seeking higher education in the United States. This book will guide you through the process of becoming a community college student, help you to achieve your academic and career goals, and save you a lot of money!
Topics covered are:
• how community colleges fit into the U.S. system of higher education
• the advantages of starting your American education at a community college
• the steps you must go through to study at an American community college
• key factors to consider when choosing an American community college such as transfer agreements
• the process of applying to and gaining entrance into a community college
• the process of applying for a U.S. visa including required forms
• the forms needed when arriving in the U.S. and passing through U.S. customs
• choosing classes at your community college and how to register for those classes
• how to get help improving your English-language skills
• basics about living in America, including housing, transportation, and medical care
• American culture and how to deal with culture shock
• profiles of seven American community colleges in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Texas
• commentary by international students currently studying at American community colleges
Includes glossary of terms and index.