As someone that has used the Bash shell almost daily for over 15 years, I've accumulated several command line "tricks" that have saved me time and frustration. Bash Command Line Pro Tips is a collection of techniques that you can put to use right away to increase your efficiency at the command line.
Here is what you will learn by reading Bash Command Line Pro Tips:
* How to use tab completion
* How to quickly change to the previous directory
* Ways to reuse the last item from the previous command line
* How to rerun a command that starts with a given string
* What command substitution is and how to put it to good use
* How to use a for loop right from the command line
* How to rerun the previous command with Superuser privileges
* Rerun the previous command while substituting a string
* How to recall a word on the same command line
* How to fix typos and shorten lengthy commands with aliases
Good little book
I read half of it during lunch, then finished it tonight. Pretty basic stuff, nice to review. Easy to read. I wish there were more piped commands for processing file listings or logs. Thanks!
short and good !