While all of France’s wine regions are special, Burgundy is in a class by itself. The wines are sublime, distinctive and evocative of place. However, as good as the wines are, developing an understanding the region’s complex wine landscape – derived from the extreme fragmentation of its classified vineyard area into small geographic plots – can be quite a task. Explaining this landscape and what makes the wines from each area unique is what this guidebook was designed to do. (2019 update includes new vintage ratings)
What’s in this wine guide:
* Grape varieties. We describe Burgundy’s primary red and white grape varieties and where they reach their highest expressions.
* Vintage ratings. We offer a straightforward vintage ratings table, which affords high-level insight into the best and most challenging years for wine production in Burgundy.
* Appellation profiles. We provide detailed profiles of each of Burgundy’s appellations. For each appellation, this guide describes the prevailing terroir, the types of wine produced and what makes them distinctive.
* A distinctive approach. This guidebook’s approach is unique: rather than tell you what specific bottle of wine to order by providing individual bottle reviews, it gives you the information you require to make informed wine choices on any list.
* Recommendations. We mark our favorite appellations with asterisks (*) — our selections have a record for providing quality, consistency and good values.
* Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; trademark features of grapes and denominations are front and center.
Publisher note: This wine guide is focused on wine education, highlighting the unique aspects of the Burgundy's wine growing regions and grape varieties; this guide does not profile specific producers or rate individual wines.
ABOUT APPROACH GUIDES
Wine guides for the ultra curious, Approach Guides takes an in depth look at a wine region's grapes, appellations, and vintages to help you discover wines that meet your preferences.
PRAISE FOR APPROACH GUIDES
Compulsive (and compulsively informed) travelers, the Raezers are the masterminds behind the downloadable Approach Guides, which are filled with a university course-worth of history and insights for 62 destinations worldwide. WHY WE LOVE IT: The Raezers share our desire for deep, well-researched information on the wonders of the world.
- Travel + Leisure
Customer ReviewsSee All
The book is Ok (updated rating)
I bought the book before a trip to Burgundy. I was fortunate enough to meet with winemakers from most regions of Burgundy (Chablis down to Montagny).
The book has some positives as the layout works well easily being able to jump directly to regions and villages.
The issue I have for the average rating. First, I am a visual person and fell like the guide would benefit significantly if each area included maps showing the region/village/vineyards.
I did have a second issue however when I brought it to the attention of the author/publisher he responded quickly, communicated and corrected the issue. I was impressed by how important it was to him to address the issue!
The guide was inexpensive and one of the only books I could find for the iPad. It is disappointing to to have a lack of options.