Catonsville, a major suburb of Baltimore, retains much of its early 19th-century, genteel country-estate charm. In 1810, Charles Carroll bestowed the land that is now Catonsville upon his daughter, Mary, and her husband, Richard Caton. The Frederick Turnpike helped the area grow, and many estates and farms cultivated the community. By 1880, it was the preferred summer retreat from the heat of Baltimore City for some of Maryland’s most prosperous merchants. The completion of the Catonsville Short Line Railroad in 1884 made the burg attractive to middle-income families; a diverse village was born. Highlighted in this volume are many long-gone homes, mansions, and institutions such as Castle Thunder, Ingleside, Nancy’s Fancy, Catonsville Casino, Farmlands, and Arden, the centerpiece of Eden Terrace. Featured as well are monuments that still stand today: Uplands Mansion, Homewood, James Gary’s Summit, Hilton, St. Mark Catholic Church, St. Charles College, Old Salem Lutheran Church, Mt. de Sales Academy, Belle Grove, numerous Victorian manors, and the early 20th-century homes that completed this hamlet.