Dan Kaufman has seen what does and doesn’t work when it comes to how PR deals with the media – after all, he’s been an editor and a journalist across newspapers, magazines and online for over 20 years.
He's read the PR textbooks and thinks they're sanitized and often untruthful - and he knows that a lot of the conventional wisdom that PRs operate by do not work. Quite frankly, some PR agencies end up doing more harm than good for their clients.
As such, this is his no-nonsense, no-holds-barred guide to what editors are looking for in a pitch, what drives them nuts, and what the best ways are for you to get you, or your client, in the media.
– understanding what makes editors tick
– what editors are looking for in a pitch
– what drives editors nuts
– how to write a great press release
– what information editors and journos need from PR
– how to approach an editor
– what should be on a PR's and client's website
– how to handle media requests
– interviews (and how to give good quotes)
– PR damage control tips
– what stops a story from making it into an editor's publication – and how you can fix that.