The town of East Windsor, incorporated in 1768, is situated in the center of northern Connecticut, with the Connecticut River as its western border. In the early 1600s, a few settlers crossed the "great river" to establish farms. East Windsor's rich and productive farmland served them well. Five distinct villages, each historically different, highlight the rich and diverse heritage of the town. Warehouse Point, with its proximity to the river, was a vital shipping and transportation hub. Scantic was started by a strong religious community devoted to God and families. Broad Brook had access to the millpond, which spurred the prosperous Broad Brook Company woolen mill. Melrose, established by farming families, is rooted in its agrarian past. Windsorville's location on the banks of Ketch Brook triggered villagers to build a dam and erect mills. Through it all ran the trolley line, which linked the villages and town with the surrounding area.