Do you love sitting at home playing guitar, but find yourself playing the same old things over and over without making much progress?
When other musicians invite you to jam, do you worry that you won’t be able to keep up?
Are you a veteran guitarist who has played for years, but you’re embarrassed to admit you have no idea what you’re doing?
If you want to take your guitar playing to the next level, compose songs like you hear on the radio, and improvise your own music, then you need Fretboard Theory.
Fretboard Theory by Desi Serna teaches music theory for guitar including scales, chords, progressions, modes and more. The hands-on approach to theory shows you how music "works" on the guitar fretboard by visualizing shapes and patterns and how they connect to make music.
* Learn pentatonic and major scale patterns as used to play melodies, riffs, solos, and bass lines
* Move beyond basic chords and common barre chords by playing the types of chord inversions and chord voicings used by music's most famous players
* Chart guitar chord progressions and play by numbers like the pros
* Identify correct scales to play over chords and progressions so you can improvise at will
* Create new sounds with music modes and get to know Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian
* Add variety to your playing by using intervals such as thirds, fourths, and sixths
* Increase your chord vocabulary by using added chord tones and extensions to play chord types such as major 7, minor 7, sus2, sus4, add9, and more
* Learn how all the different aspects of music fit together to make a great song
* See how theory relates to popular styles of music and familiar songs
Fretboard Theory will have you mastering music like a pro easier and faster than you ever thought possible. Plus, it's the ONLY GUITAR THEORY RESOURCE in the world that includes important details to hundreds of popular songs. You learn how to play in the style of pop, rock, acoustic, blues, and more!
This guitar instruction is perfect whether you want to jam, compose or just understand the music you play better. The material is suitable for both acoustic and electric guitar, plus it features many references to bass.
Level: Recommended for intermediate level players on up.
Fretboard Theory is also available as a video series that is sold separately on the author's GuitarMusicTheory.com website. Visit the website and sign up for email lessons to sample the footage.
Fretboard Theory Volume II
When you're ready to take your playing to the next level, get the second book in the series, Fretboard Theory Volume II, which is also available as a 12-hour video series.
This is a great program for intermediate to advanced players. Desi knocks it out of the park with his easy to follow lessons!
Excellent Learning Course and Ongoing Resource
Desi is a great teacher and this course has greatly assisted me to both understand and move my guitar playing to the next level. I purchased this course and his Guitar Theory for Dummies course.
Great Guitar instruction
What I appreciated about Desi's approach is the way that he combines the practical instruction on playing the guitar and the music theory that goes with it so you understand why you are doing what you are doing. I have been playing for years but have progressed more over the last year, using Desi's material, than I have in all of my previous years of playing.