Although officially in the somewhat nebulous genre of Fiction, it's a mix being "based upon a true story". Set in the early 1960's a young sailor transfers from the natural realm of the seas to shore duty encountering quite unexpected and enlightening adventures in Cold War London. Readers are left to sort out what may or may not be true, "why?" is explained in the Preface. Explicitly revealed are:
* What Lloyds of London sold besides insurance
* Classified behind-the-scenes military activities
* What the President said vs what we did!
* The workings of Cryptography; Codes, Ciphers, machines and brief history.
* deep love headed to matrimony unexpectedly and tragically destroyed
* A taboo, Gay-straight military, love, sex triangle
* An attempt at espionage recruitment foiled
* A "Yank's" assimilation of British citizenry and culture
* The Beatles before fame and fortune
* I become a Scout Master and a Movie Star?
It's true that fact is sometimes stranger than fiction and perhaps readers will agree. My story isn't a James Bond thriller; but it's as close as I've ever come to it ! Upon reenlisting, the Navy gave me the choice of where I wanted to go; Now eligible for shore duty, I chose London and getting it brought me to experiences I'd never otherwise have had; the interesting, challenging learning opportunities that came my way enriched and widened my life … and opened my eyes!