Master the development of 2D games by learning to use the powerful GameMaker Language and tools provided by the GameMaker: Studio workspace and engine!
About This Book
• Rapidly develop games using the powerful yet easy easy-to to-use GameMaker: Studio engine
• Comprehensive: This is a comprehensive guide to help you learn and implement GameMaker’s features.
• Go through step-by-step tutorials to design and develop unique games
Who This Book Is For
What You Will Learn
• Understand the GameMaker: Studio interface and tools to quickly create the various assets used in your games
• Translate some of the GameMaker: Studio drag and drop functions to the GameMaker language
• Create games with random elements for exciting gameplay
• Use the basic GameMaker file I/O and encryption systems
• Utilize the GameMaker networking functions to create multiplayer games
• Give AI routines to your enemies to make challenging gameplay
• Create particle systems to give your game exciting graphics
• Understand the various debugging techniques available in GameMaker: Studio
This book is excellent resource for developers with any level of experience of GameMaker. At the start, we’ll provide an overview of the basic use of GameMaker: Studio, and show you how to set up a basic game where you handle input and collisions in a top-down perspective game.
We continue on to showcase its more advanced features via six different example projects. The first example game demonstrates platforming with file I/O, followed by animation, views, and multiplayer networking. The next game illustrates AI and particle systems, while the final one will get you started with the built-in Box2D physics engine. By the end of this book, you have mastered lots of powerful techniques that can be utilized in various 2D games.
Style and approach
A This step-by-step guide that follows and with details ons different topics throughout the creation of various examples.