The purpose of this course is to allow healthcare professionals to effectively identify, diagnose, treat, and provide appropriate referrals for patients who use hallucinogens in order to avoid adverse mental health outcomes. In addition, members of the public may use this course to enhance their personal knowledge of the subject matter presented.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
1. Outline the history of hallucinogen use, including research regarding the role of these compounds in clinical treatment.
2. Discuss the epidemiology of hallucinogen use in the United States.
3. Describe the classification of various types of hallucinogens available today.
4. Compare and contrast the pharmacology and clinical effects of hallucinogens and their impact on healthcare utilization.
5. Identify both the short-term and the long-term psychologic effects of hallucinogen use.
6. Outline the effective treatment of hallucinogen toxicity.
This 4-hour continuing education course is available for download for professional development; if continuing education credit is desired, please see instructions included in eBook.