The finest guidebook ever written for the Big Island. Now you can plan your best vacation—ever. This all new ninth edition is a candid, humorous guide to everything there is to see and do on the Big Island. Best-selling author and longtime Hawai‘i resident, Andrew Doughty, unlocks the secrets of an island so vast and diverse that many visitors never realize all that it has to offer. Explore with him as he reveals breathtaking trails, secluded beaches, pristine reefs, delicious places to dine, relaxing resorts, Kilauea Volcano and so much more. Every restaurant, activity provider, business and resort is reviewed personally and anonymously. This book and a rental car are all you need to discover what makes the Big Island so exciting.
• The most accurate up-to-date information available anyplace with up-to-the-minute changes posted to our website and smartphone app. The app is an optional separate purchase and includes features not possible in a book, but it provides free access to over 90 resort reviews with our detailed aerial photos—so you’ll know if oceanfront really means oceanfront—and you can filter them fast to find features and amenities you’re looking for.
• Frank, brutally honest reviews of restaurants, hotels and activities show you which companies really are the best…and which to avoid—no advertisements
• Driving tours let you structure your trip your way, point out sights not to be missed along the way and are complemented by over 120 spectacular color photographs
• 35 specially-created maps in an easy-to-follow format with mile markers—so you’ll always know where you are on the island
• Clear, concise directions to those hard-to-find places such as deserted black sand beaches, tropical rain forests, hidden waterfalls, lava flows, freshwater lava pools and scores of other hidden gems listed nowhere else
• 32 pages on Big Island’s beaches with detailed descriptions including ocean safety
• 70 pages of exciting adventures and activities
• All new and expanded Island Dining chapter with over 160 places to eat
• Fascinating sections on Hawai‘i’s history, culture, language and legends
"Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" covers it all—from the snow-covered top of Mauna Kea, to the sparkling underwater reefs. This is the best investment you can make for your Big Island visit. Whether you are a first time visitor, or a longtime kama‘aina, you will find out more about the Big Island from this book than from any other source. Discover the island of your dreams with "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed".