RECENTLY UPDATED FOR 2019! With more than 80 high-resolution images, videos and detailed tour itinerary, this is the definitive travel guide to India's Delhi, Agra and the Taj Mahal.
Delhi and Agra are the former capitals of Islamic dynasties that controlled much of the Indian subcontinent from the 13th-19th centuries. Together, the cities hold an unrivaled collection of art and architecture: mosques with towering minarets that call the faithful to prayer; gardens with designs that recreate Quranic paradise; and tombs with inlaid stone decoration that spark contemplation of the divine. Not to mention the culmination of it all: the Mughal dynasty’s famed Taj Mahal, an “equal to it the eye of the Age has not seen under these nine vaults of the enamel-blue sky.” It is yours to discover.
What’s in this guidebook
* Art and architecture review. We provide an overview of Indian Islamic art and architecture, isolating trademark features that you will see again and again while touring Delhi and Agra. To make things come alive, we have packed our review with high-resolution images.
* Tour of the highlights. Following our tradition of being the most valuable resource for culture-focused travelers, we offer a tour of Delhi and Agra’s greatest Islamic monuments (see itinerary below). For each, we reveal its most important architectural and decorative features and offer a discussion that ties it all together.
* Advice for getting the best cultural experience. To help you plan your visit, this guidebook supplies logistical advice, maps and links to online resources. Plus, we give our personal tips for getting the most from your experience while on location.
* Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; and images are marked up with text that explains important features.
* NEW! Customers can now print this guidebook with our new PDF-on-Demand service. See the final chapter in the book for details.
Quwwat-al-Islam Mosque (Qutb Minar and Alai Darwaza Gateway)
Tomb of Ghiyath al-Din Tughluq.
Tomb of I’timad-ud-Daulah (Baby Taj)
ABOUT APPROACH GUIDES
Travel guidebooks for the ultra curious, Approach Guides reveal a destination’s essence by exploring a compelling aspect of its cultural heritage: art, architecture, history, food, or wine.
PRAISE FOR APPROACH GUIDES
Compulsive (and compulsively informed) travelers, the Raezers are the masterminds behind the downloadable Approach Guides, which are filled with a university course-worth of history and insights for 62 destinations worldwide. WHY WE LOVE IT: The Raezers share our desire for deep, well-researched information on the wonders of the world.
- Travel + Leisure
What started as one couple’s travel notes aimed at filling in the gaps in guidebooks has become ApproachGuides.com — a menu of downloadable travel guides that cover cultural and historical topics of interest to thoughtful travelers. What’s hot: Bite-sized travel guides that specialize in topics ranging from 29 pages on the foods of Italy to one that helps you explore the historical and architectural significance of Angkor’s famous temple structures in Cambodia.
- LA Times