Over 20 recipes that will enable you to handle and extract data from iOS devices for forensics
About This Book
• This book gets you straight into solving even the most complex iOS forensic problems with easy-to-understand recipes
• Get to grips with extraction and analysis techniques to perform forensic investigations on iOS devices
• Gain insights into how to protect your data and perform data recovery from iOS-based devices
Who This Book Is For
If you are an iOS application developer who wants to learn about a test flight, hockey app integration, and recovery tools, then this book is for you. This book will be helpful for students learning forensics, as well as experienced iOS developers.
What You Will Learn
• Discover the various ways to save data in the document directory of the device
• Get to grips with encrypting and decrypting of files saved in the document directories
• Explore ways to integrate social media with iOS applications
• Grab the user events and actions on the iOS application using analytic tools
• Analyze useful information from the data gathered in the cloud
• Grasp numerous concepts associated with air application distribution
• Track errors in an application effectively to document them for forensic analysis
• Read crash reports accumulated on iTunesConnect and decode them to generate and gather useful information
Mobile device forensics is a branch of digital forensics that involves the recovery of evidence or data in a digital format from a device without affecting its integrity. With the growing popularity of iOS-based Apple devices, iOS forensics has developed immense importance.
To cater to the need, this book deals with tasks such as the encryption and decryption of files, various ways to integrate techniques with social media, and ways to grab the user events and actions on the iOS app. Using practical examples, we'll start with the analysis keychain and raw disk decryption, social media integration, and getting accustomed to analytics tools. You'll also learn how to distribute the iOS apps without releasing them to Apple's App Store. Moving on, the book covers test flights and hockey app integration, the crash reporting system, recovery tools, and their features. By the end of the book, using the aforementioned techniques, you will be able to successfully analyze iOS-based devices forensically.
Style and approach
This book takes a step-by-step recipe-based approach to iOS forensics and investigation techniques. Topics are explained sequentially in order of complexity, and are accompanied by code and theory that is easy to grasp.