This book has two parts. Part 1 will help you choose the irrigation system that is right for you, and Part 2 will help you select, operate and maintain your pumping equipment.
If you are installing or upgrading an irrigation system you will probably be seeking to increase production, decrease the amount of water used or reduce labour required. Part one of this book is about selecting the irrigation system that is best for your enterprise.
It is an overview of:
• the most widely used irrigation methods in NSW
• the capabilities and limitations of the most widely used irrigation methods in NSW
• the major issues to consider when selecting an irrigation system
• the basic financial analysis you can use to determine the viability of a system you are considering.
You can save money by increasing productivity and efficiency of your irrigation system if you can improve the performance of the pump.
This section about the features of common irrigation pumps helps you to select, operate and maintain your pumping equipment. It contains information on pump types, duty, curves and selection. It contains an explanation of:
• the common types of pumps for irrigation systems
• pumping head components: static head; suction head; velocity head; friction loss
• manufacturers’ pump curves
• maintenance and troubleshooting procedures for pumps.
This publication was produced by Education Delivery, Tocal College.
It supports the following competencies from National Training Package AHC10 Agriculture, Horticulture, Conservation and Land Management:
AHCIRG306A - Troubleshoot irrigation systems,
AHCIRG402A – Determine hydraulic parameters for an irrigation system,
AHCIRG410A - Select and manage pumping systems for irrigation