Use Spring Boot to build lightning-fast apps
About This Book
• Get up to date with the defining characteristics of Spring Boot 2.0 in Spring Framework 5
• Learn to perform Reactive programming with SpringBoot
• Learn about developer tools, AMQP messaging, WebSockets, security, MongoDB data access, REST, and more
Who This Book Is For
This book is designed for both novices and experienced Spring developers. It will teach you how to override Spring Boot's opinions and frees you from the need to define complicated configurations.
What You Will Learn
• Create powerful, production-grade applications and services with minimal fuss
• Support multiple environments with one artifact, and add production-grade support with features
• Find out how to tweak your apps through different properties
• Use custom metrics to track the number of messages published and consumed
• Enhance the security model of your apps
• Make use of reactive programming in Spring Boot
• Build anything from lightweight unit tests to fully running embedded web container integration tests
Spring Boot provides a variety of features that address today's business needs along with today's scalable requirements. In this book, you will learn how to leverage powerful databases and Spring Boot's state-of-the-art WebFlux framework. This practical guide will help you get up and running with all the latest features of Spring Boot, especially the new Reactor-based toolkit.
The book starts off by helping you build a simple app, then shows you how to bundle and deploy it to the cloud. From here, we take you through reactive programming, showing you how to interact with controllers and templates and handle data access. Once you're done, you can start writing unit tests, slice tests, embedded container tests, and even autoconfiguration tests.
We go into detail about developer tools, AMQP messaging, WebSockets, security, and deployment. You will learn how to secure your application using both routes and method-based rules. By the end of the book, you'll have built a social media platform from which to apply the lessons you have learned to any problem. If you want a good understanding of building scalable applications using the core functionality of Spring Boot, this is the book for you.
Style and approach
This book takes a tutorial-based approach to teach you all you need to know to get up and running with the latest version of Spring Boot. Filled with examples, you will gain hands-on experience of every area that Spring tackles.
Bad for beginners, good if you know Spring already
I’ve used Java before but I’m attempting to get familiar with Spring Boot and the Spring ecosystem in general. The book doesn’t seem directed at a true Spring beginner like me but instead at someone who’s already familiar with Spring Boot and wants to know the latest trends with the framework. By chapter 2, the code examples start assuming you know much more about Spring than a Spring beginner with Java experience would. I’ll have to abandon this book to find a better beginner intro and maybe come back to this title once I have a lot more Spring experience.