No dramatist has ever seen with more frightening clarity into the heart and mind of a murderer than has Shakespeare in this compelling tragedy of evil. Taunted into asserting his “masculinity” by his ambitious wife, Macbeth chooses to embrace the Weird Sisters’ prophecy and kill his king–and thus, seals his own doom. Fast-moving and bloody, this drama has the extraordinary energy that derives from a brilliant plot replete with treachery and murder, and from Shakespeare’s compelling portrait of the ultimate battle between a mind and its own guilt.
Each Edition Includes:
• Comprehensive explanatory notes
• Vivid introductions and the most up-to-date scholarship
• Clear, modernized spelling and punctuation, enabling contemporary readers to understand the Elizabethan English
• Completely updated, detailed bibliographies and performance histories
• An interpretive essay on film adaptations of the play, along with an extensive filmography
Customer ReviewsSee All
Very well done ebooks!
Ok I have no idea what happened (no feedback from publishers) but they must have fixed this because it works great now, so now I will have to change my review to say that these Random House volumes of Shakespeare are the absolute best nothing else even comes close! Formatting looks great footnotes are extensive and linked in place to the text plus the company seems to be responsive (my first review I panned them hard because books crashed and wouldn't open). I could not say enough good things about these volumes, cost a bit to buy them all but I'd say it's worth it.