Learn the secrets of 10 important foods and how to cook healthy, delicious meals on the smallest budget
Make Do & Cook embodies a new way of thinking about food - by showing how you can eat well while saving money.
If you are on a budget, learning to prepare delicious and healthy meals can save you a fortune without taking up much of your time.
Make Do & Cook is aimed at cost-conscious cooks who enjoy good food, including:
* Students looking for healthy and easy-to-prepare meals.
* Parents on tight budgets who want to provide their families with nutritious food.
* Beginners who want to learn how to cook good, simple meals without pretensions.
* Experienced cooks looking to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
There are 100 recipes in the book, many based on timeless peasant cuisine from around the world.
But Make Do & Cook offers still more. It helps you to understand food, giving you the insight you need to plan and create your own menus.
This book doesn’t show you how to heat up Pot Noodles or make the most of turkey twizzlers – it is dedicated to creating delicious dishes from good, basic ingredients that you can find in any supermarket.
You'll save the price of the book the first time you go shopping.
It includes chapters on:
* Savvy shopping – how to shop wisely, how brands and price points work and where to find bargains.
* Menus and budgeting – planning your meals to ensure variety without expense or waste.
* Your store cupboard – the basic ingredients you need for successful cooking, with explanations of oils and fats, herbs and spices and other essentials.
* Equipment – the basic equipment you need: what’s necessary and what’s optional.
* Economical cooking methods – how to cook using fuel-efficient methods.
* Stocks & soups – the importance of stock, and soup as a main-course meal.
* Basic foods – rethinking your eating habits.
The main part of the book covers 10 basic foods in depth – carrots, cabbages, onions, potatoes, pulses, apples, eggs, bread, pasta and rice. Each has an introduction – covering varieties, preparation and basic cooking methods – followed by recipes featuring salads, soups, main courses, side dishes and desserts. The recipes include both meat-based and vegetarian dishes.
You don’t need to spend money to make great meals. Make Do & Cook is your guide to eating well on a budget.