North Caddo Parish

    • 5.0 • 2 Ratings
    • $9.99
    • $9.99

Publisher Description

In 1835, the United States purchased close to one million acres of land from the Caddo Confederacy of Native Americans; the Louisiana portion became known as Caddo Parish. The Indian agency’s protection of that land delayed the settlement of the parish
for 25 years or more after it began in other parts of Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas. The Red River logjam that existed for a few hundred years backed up bayous, which in return created navigable streams
and lakes. The uplands contained massive stands of virgin timbers and bountiful fruit, berries, fish, and game. The first land patents were sold in 1841, and by 1850, the area was known as Caddo Prairie. For a majority of the next 100 years, steamboat traffic, homesteaders, plantations, subsistence farmers, logging operations, entrepreneurs, and a building boom brought on by the railroad and oil industries uniquely melded to define local, cultural history. Today three towns and five villages are located in north Caddo Parish, while the memories of 10 historic communities remain strong.

GENRE
History
RELEASED
2007
September 19
LANGUAGE
EN
English
LENGTH
128
Pages
PUBLISHER
Arcadia Publishing Inc.
SELLER
INscribe Digital
SIZE
20.8
MB

More Books by Sam Collier

2020
2018
2016

Other Books in This Series

2006
2006
2012
2008
2008
2011