**New, updated version!**
**Oct 14, 2019 with new examples and Catalina notes**
**(see version history for details)**
The essential introduction for system administrators to using, analyzing and building installation package files (pkg) on macOS.
In this book you will learn:
- How to work with packages, analyze them without installing and install them from the command line and remotely
- How to inspect packages with the tools built into macOS and third party tools
- How to build your own packages, from simple packages to complex - How to use the tools for package creation and customization from macOS and some third-party tools
Working with installation packages is a fundamental skill for any system administrator. Package files are versatile and used in many ways, wether you use Jamf Pro (aka Casper), Munki, Filewave, LanRev, Apple Remote Desktop or a different management system.
This book will introduce you to the installation package file format (pkg). It will give you many examples on various techniques and strategies to build packages which will scale from small workgroups to large enterprise or school level deployments.
It also discusses larger concepts such as testing, scripting and configuration management.
Table of Contents:
About this Book
- Installing Packages
- Inspecting Packages
- Inspector Applications
- Testing Package Installation
- Installation Scripts
- Signing Packages
- Payload-Free Packages
- Re-Packaging Applications
- Custom Installers
- Configuration Profiles
- Other Settings Files
- What are Distribution Packages
- Installation Choices
- Building Distribution Packages
- Installer Interface
- Application Installation
- Configuration Files
Other Package Builders
- WhiteBox Packages
- Jamf Composer
- Legacy Package Formats
Customer ReviewsSee All
The information in this book is accurate and current. It’s a good reference and learning resource.
Just what I needed
After watching Armin’s videos I immediately got this book and put it use immediately.