An exhaustive review of the history, current state, and future opportunities for harnessing light to accomplish useful work in materials, this book describes the chemistry, physics, and mechanics of light-controlled systems.
• Describes photomechanical materials and mechanisms, along with key applications
• Exceptional collection of leading authors, internationally recognized for their work in this growing area
• Covers the full scope of photomechanical materials: polymers, crystals, ceramics, and nanocomposites
• Deals with an interdisciplinary coupling of mechanics, materials, chemistry, and physics
• Emphasizes application opportunities in creating adaptive surface features, shape memory devices, and actuators; while assessing future prospects for utility in optics and photonics and soft robotics