The purpose of this course is to provide nurses with the information necessary to accurately identify, treat, and manage skin breakdown (pressure ulcers), thereby improving patient outcomes and quality of life. In addition, members of the public may use this course to enhance their personal knowledge of the subject matter presented.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
1. List the key structures and functions of the skin.
2. Describe skin changes throughout the life span.
3. Identify causative factors contributing to pressure ulcer occurrence.
4. Accurately identify each stage of pressure ulcer development.
5. Identify risk factors leading to the development of pressure ulcers.
6. Outline characteristics of a validated and reliable pressure ulcer risk assessment tool.
7. Complete thorough skin and pain assessments.
8. Outline an individualized program of skin care, including nutritional support, documentation, and patient education.
This 5-hour continuing education course is available for download for professional development; if continuing education credit is desired, please see instructions included in eBook.