Located in the center of the Delmarva Peninsula on the Wicomico River, Salisbury is a town steeped in history. Formed by an act of provincial legislature in 1732, Salisbury lies on the east bank of the river on the original land of William Winder. Salisbury developed into the commercial center of the peninsula by the time of the Civil War--it was the southernmost point at which all goods were shipped north. This strategic location also made Salisbury the distribution point for goods coming south, an advantage that placed the region at the center of the state's economic boom. In 1867, Wicomico County was formed and Salisbury was chosen as the county seat. In the 20th century, Salisbury prospered into a communication and financial center for all of lower Maryland.