Children benefit when we tell them stories too but when you read to them they get more benefits as you are not preparing them to read. It is not important which language books you read. It is important to read.
When we read books to children, children notice that,
• The print has meaning.
• The book has features like the beginning and the end.
• The letters make up words and words make up sentences.
• The books have different vocabulary that the children might not have experienced in spoken language.
• The books can be entertaining or informative. (Fiction and non-fiction)
• Children who are read to regularly since they were young are more likely to read early.