Bring the power of Swift functional programming to iOS, Web, macOS, watchOS and tvOS application development and build clean, smart, scalable and reliable applications
About This Book
• Written for Swift 3 -Developers Preview version, this is a comprehensive guide that introduces iOS and OS X developers to the all-new world of functional programming that has so far been alien to them
• Learn about first-class functions and how imperative-style patterns can be converted into functional code using some simple techniques
• The book will get you familiar with using functional programming alongside existing OOP techniques so you can get the best of both worlds and develop clean, robust code
Who This Book Is For
The book is for developers with a basic knowledge of Swift programming aiming to incorporate functional programming paradigms in their day-to-day application development
What You Will Learn
• First-class, higher-order, and pure functions
• Closures and capturing values
• Custom operators, recursion, and memoization
• Value and reference types in Swift
• Enumerations, algebraic data types, patterns, and pattern matching
• Generics and associated type protocols
• Higher-order functions such as map, flatMap filter, and reduce
• Dealing with optionals, fmap, and apply for multiple functional mapping
• Functional data structures such as Semigroup, Monoid, Binary Search Tree, Linked List, Stack, and Lazy List
• Immutability, copy constructors, and lenses
• Combining FP paradigms with OOP, FRP, and POP in your day-to-day development activities
• Developing a backend application with Swift
• Developing an iOS application with FP, OOP, FRP, and POP paradigms
This book is based on Swift 3 Developer preview version and aims at simplifying the functional programming (FP) paradigms making it easily usable, by showing you how to solve many of your day-to-day development problems.
Whether you are new to functional programming and Swift or experienced, this book will strengthen the skills you need to design and develop high-quality, scalable, and efficient applications.
The book starts with functional programming concepts, the basics of Swift 3, and essential concepts such as functions, closures, optionals, enumerations, immutability, and generics in detail with coding examples.
Furthermore, this book introduces more advanced topics such as function composition, monads, functors, applicative functors, memoization, lenses, algebraic data types, functional data structures, functional reactive programming (FRP), protocol-oriented programming (POP) and mixing object-oriented programming (OOP) with functional programming (FP) paradigms.
Finally, this book provides a working code example of a front-end application developed with these techniques and its corresponding back-end application developed with Swift.
Style and approach
This is an easy-to-follow guide full of hands-on coding examples of real-world applications. Each topic is explained sequentially and placed in context, and for the more inquisitive, there are more details of the concepts used. It introduces the Swift language basics and functional programming techniques in simple, non-mathematical vocabulary with examples in Swift.