Take Control of Your Apple ID, Third Edition
Prevent (or solve) problems with your Apple ID!
Version 3.5, updated February 22, 2023
This book covers everything you need to know about configuring an Apple ID account, interactions with iCloud-based services, and troubleshooting account access.
Your Apple ID is much more than a simple username. It's a key that unlocks a long list of Apple products and services on any of numerous devices. iCloud uses an Apple ID, as does Apple Music; the App Store; the Music, TV, and Books apps; and more. An Apple ID protects your personal information, including email and iOS/iPadOS backups; helps you find a lost iPhone; and can even unlock your Mac. So it goes without saying that if something goes wrong with your Apple ID, you could be in for a world of hurt.
Unfortunately, things go wrong with Apple IDs all the time. Fortunately, Glenn Fleishman, a veteran technology journalist and the author of Macworld's "Mac 911" column, is ready to help with expert advice on how to manage your Apple ID—including how to prevent, solve, or work around most common problems!
In this book, Glenn answers questions like:
• What all is my Apple ID used for?
• How does my iCloud account relate to my Apple ID?
• What problems can two-factor authentication (2FA) solve, and how do I use it?
• Are there other mechanisms I can use to ensure that I can recover an Apple ID in the event of a problem? (Spoiler: yes!)
• What if I have a device that's too old to work with two-factor authentication?
• What should I do if I have two or more Apple IDs or iCloud accounts?
• Will I lose access to all my Apple media purchases if I move to another country?
• Can I share an Apple ID with someone else?
• What exactly should I do if I think someone is hacking my Apple ID account?
• How can I recover a forgotten Apple ID password?
• What steps should I take if Apple locks me out of my account?
• If I lose access to an email address associated with my Apple ID, what can I do?
• What Apple ID changes in recent versions of iOS, iPadOS, and macOS do I need to know about?
• How does "Sign in with Apple" work?
• How can I use Family Sharing to share data and purchases within my family?
• What types of subscriptions can I manage with my Apple ID, and how?
• Which payment methods can I associate with my Apple ID, and how do I manage them?
And that's just the beginning. Glenn has packed a remarkable amount of concise problem-solving information into this compact, 147-page book. Read it before you encounter Apple ID problems to minimize your risk, and if you've already encountered a problem, read it to find the best path to a rapid solution.