Spring training is a time of new beginnings, when the baseball world preps for another season. Hope is in the air, with rookies fighting for roster spots and veterans prepping for another campaign. Every team in spring training has a shot to contend for a title, as life on the diamond begins anew.
Hardcore baseball fans scout their favorite teams and eagerly track every open roster spot. Casual fans head to spring training in search of the perfect Arizona experience, happy to sip a brew at the outfield bar. This book is for both kinds of fans.
This book covers the 15 Cactus League teams playing out of 10 training camps: American Family Fields of Phoenix (Milwaukee Brewers), Camelback Ranch-Glendale (Chicago White Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers), Goodyear Ballpark (Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians), Hohokam Stadium (Oakland Athletics), Peoria Stadium (San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners), Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, (Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies), Scottsdale Stadium (San Francisco Giants), Sloan Park (Chicago Cubs), Surprise Stadium (Kansas City Royals, Texas Rangers), and Tempe Diablo Stadium (Los Angeles Angels), as well as Phoenix Municipal Stadium, home of the Arizona State University Sun Devils and GCU Ballpark, home of the GCU Antelopes. Also covered: exhibition games in Las Vegas and Montreal, and college baseball in Tucson.
Changes for the 2020 spring-training season are highlighted, including a thorough look at American Family Fields of Phoenix, which opened in 2019 after an extensive remodeling. Schedules are not included, as no schedules have been released.
Each chapter features:
• Best seats in each ballpark, whether you want comfort, shade, accessibility or autographs
• Ballpark tips
• Must-sees before and after the games, including local baseball attractions and sports bars
• Training information, to plan a trip before the games start
• Information on new and renovated ballparks
• Travel tips: Low fares at nearby airports, alternative routes (beat the traffic!) and freeway shortcuts
• College games: create your own day-night doubleheaders
• Points of interest for the baseball history fan
• Changes for spring training 2020 and beyond