The most common medical problem in America today, chronic pain is more prevalent than cancer, heart disease, and diabetes combined. Yet tens of millions of people struggle with pain because they can't find someone who understands how much pain affects their lives--and because they live in a culture where pain is dismissed.
Internationally recognized pain specialist Dr. Lynn Webster validates the debilitating nature of pain, offers practical answers, and helps you become a catalyst for changing the way pain is viewed in society. Drawing on his years of experience and the inspirational stories of others, he explores:
- What a difference it makes to be heard
- Why pain is much more than a symptom of disease
- The benefits and risks of opioid prescriptions
- How cultural attitudes toward pain affect us
- The role of a caregiver in the journey of pain and recovery
- How, even in the worst pain situations, you can have a fulfilling life
The Painful Truth offers a path toward awareness, hope, and healing.