Everybody's talking about online privacy, and for good reason: we have less privacy than ever before. Social media, online dating, photo sharing, mobile everything… It can make your life a dream - or a nightmare. The Smart Girl’s Guide to Privacy is the only guide focused on privacy for women. This book helps you hack your way through the jungle of privacy chaos and fight back against sleazy marketers, unethical megacorporations, scammers, stalkers, hacked apps, and thieves. A longtime journalist who’s covered both tech and sex, Violet Blue explains in nontechnical terms:
• What to do when a compromising photo of you ends up on the internet.
• Keep your address and phone number private from exes, stalkers and that creepy guy who just hit on you at the bar.
• Why online privacy is just as important — if not more important — than your physical privacy.
• What websites you can trust — and those you can’t.
• The privacy holes that hurt working women most.
• Fix reputation disasters.
• Act fast and save your privacy if you’ve been hacked, had your identity stolen, or are the target of "revenge" image posts.
• Find out if someone has been on your computer or in your email.
• Why appearing on “People Finder” websites isn’t as harmless as it seems.
* How to set up safe online profiles.
Unwanted exes, prying strangers, and conservative bosses have a disproportionate affect on our lives. When all you want is to have a life, how do you avoid trainwrecks like identity theft, online stalking, corporate privacy meddling, or something awful like revenge p*rn?
Whether you're looking for a simple social media privacy guide, trying to make a dating profile, prepping for a job search, trying to keep work and life separate, worried about the latest hacking news, or you're in an online crisis, you'll find the answers in The Smart Girl's Guide to Privacy.
Thought provoking and useful
I found this book to be thought provoking and useful. If you only do 10% of what's in here, you'll still have spent your time and your $$ wisely.