The Soaring Kiwi and the Sauerkraut is the offbeat travel tale of a hang gliding New Zealander who makes the mistake of marrying a grumpy German and moving to Munich, the city of big beer and Lederhosen you couldn't whip a high ranking motorsport official into wearing. A big life style change for the kiwi known to most of the world as:
1. a) a small brown furry fruit
2. b) a brand of shoe polish
3. c) a motorcycle helmet
but is in fact a small brown, nocturnal bird found only in New Zealand. And can’t fly. Perfect prerequisites for our Soaring Kiwi, on his quest to become the world’s worst hang gliding champion.
• pinnacle of the dedicated dot.com entrepreneur with a cunning business plan, to the tedium trough of the underemployed with an efficient German employer that isn’t
• climax in every teenage petrol head’s wet dream of piloting a big black car really, really fast, legally, to the pit of despair while being overtaken by a Mini
• thrill of the first proper sentence in German, to realising said sentence could have been uttered by any good international man of mystery
• relief of freedom from pain, to the tortures of Germany’s modern medieval medical establishment
the Soaring Kiwi and the Sauerkraut is a germane journey through the highs and lows of adjusting to life in a new country with bad coffee.