Trucking Life was written for anyone interested in the world of trucking, whether you simply have a passing interest or you are someone who is considering truck driving as a career. There is a link to a free audiobook version included. The book is over 200 printed pages.
The author, who has been a trucker since 1997, describes the trucking lifestyle through the use of stories and a really pathetic attempt at humor. The goal is to keep you amused while you're learning instead of boring you like your 7th grade History teacher did.
Many of these stories include his wife of over 20 years and co-driver for 9, whom he lovingly refers to as The Evil Overlord. And yes, she knows and approves of that nickname, so what's that tell you?
Topics included in Trucking Life are:
• How much money can you make?
• Who makes a good trucker?
• What's it like to drive a big rig?
• Can you be away from home?
• How will you handle downtime on the road?
• How does your home time work?
• Can you handle the long driving hours?
• What's it like to sleep in the truck?
• What about health issues?
• What about personal hygiene?
• How are women truckers treated?
• What are the job qualifications?
• Will I have job security?
These are just some of the questions that will be answered for you. If you read about all these things and decide truck driving may work for you, you'll need to know the process of becoming a truck driver, so it also covers:
• Choosing and attending a driving school
• Finding a great job
• Going to orientation class
• Hitting the road with a trainer
• A day in the life of a trucker (play-by-play of three days of trucking)
Customer ReviewsSee All
Great read and listen
Very entertaining read for experienced drivers and very informative for new drivers. Even a good read for non drivers just wanting a look into the trucking life. I really like the free audio version that's included.
Good book for someone who is thinking about trucking.
Best trucking book yet
Found the podcast from The trucking podcast. Hooked ever since. Started to read the book couldn't put it down...well there went my only day of this week to work in the yard. Darn local driving keeps you busy I guess. Great book for all around interested in trucking. Give it a shot. Never hurts to learn something.