You define life or it defines you.
In Shawn Speakman’s case, it was both.
Lacking health insurance and diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 2011, Shawn quickly accrued a massive medical debt that he did not have the ability to pay. That’s when New York Times best-selling author Terry Brooks offered to donate a short story that Shawn could sell tohelp alleviate those bills—and suggested he ask the same of his other writer friends.
Unfettered is the result: an anthology built in order to relieve that debt, featuring short stories by some of the best fantasy writers in the genre.
Twenty-three tales comprise this incredible collection, and as the title suggests, the writers were free to contribute whatever they wished.
Here is the table of contents:
- Foreword by Patrick Rothfuss
- Introduction: On Becoming Unfettered
- Imaginary Friends by Terry Brooks
- How Old Holly Came To Be by Patrick Rothfuss
- The Old Scale Game by Tad Williams
- Game of Chance by Carrie Vaughn
- The Martyr of the Roses by Jacqueline Carey
- Mudboy by Peter V. Brett
- The Sound of Broken Absolutes by Peter Orullian
- The Coach with Big Teeth by R.A. Salvatore
- Keeper of Memory by Todd Lockwood
- Heaven in a Wild Flower by Blake Charlton
- Dogs by Daniel Abraham
- The Chapel Perilous by Kevin Hearne
- Select Mode by Mark Lawrence
- All the Girls Love Michael Stein by David Anthony Durham
- Strange Rain by Jennifer Bosworth
- Nocturne by Robert V.S. Redick
- Unbowed by Eldon Thompson
- In Favour with Their Stars by Naomi Novik
- River of Souls by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson
- The Jester by Michael J. Sullivan
- The Duel by Lev Grossman
- Walker and the Shade of Allanon by Terry Brooks
- The Unfettered Knight by Shawn Speakman
With the help of stalwart friends and these wonderful short stories, Shawn has taken the gravest of life’s hardships and created something magical. Unfettered is not only a fantastic anthology in its own right, but it’s a testament to the generosity found in the science fiction and fantasy community—proof that humanity can give beyond itself when the need arises.
After all, isn’t that the driving narrative in fantasy literature?
Customer ReviewsSee All
Magic in small doses.
I enjoyed this collection very much for the most part and it introduced me to some writers and characters and realms that were heretofore unknown to me and I look forward to exploring many of these on a larger field soon. I have to admit though, the name of Rothfuss was one of the main reasons I purchased this book and, as he has pretty much given up on the Kingkiller books, I was hoping for a little Kvothe origin story or something along those lines. What I got instead was something unexpectedly silly and pointless. Sorry Patrick but I bet even Shawn was disappointed in that effort.
This is a wonderful collection of novellas/short stories from many of my favorite authors. Having RSD/CRPS-each of these authors envelopes me in different worlds where, for awhile, my pain recedes to the background and no longer rules my life. This is indeed magic of the greatest kind! The reason for Unfettered spoke to my heart as we each choose to make something 'right' for someone else in this sometimes difficult journey through life. Well done, good and faithful servants! Now, on to The Dark Thorn - my curiosity has been aroused Mr. Speakman ... I must learn more about the Word and the knights who protect both our world and that of the fey in Annwn.
Worth four times the price
I purchased the hardcover since the e-book took so long to come out on iTunes (not the creator's fault) and it was worth every penny. At $9.99 it's a steal. Enjoy.