Classic crime featuring the ever-popular Chief Superintendent Wycliffe - 'Another must for collectors' Sunday Times.
On the peaceful and secluded estate of Lord and Lady Bottrell, the body of amateur flautist Tony Mills has been found, shot by his own gun. It appears to be suicide - but a closer inspection reveals some sinister inconsistencies, and Chief Superintendent Wycliffe is called in.
As Wycliffe begins to unravel the last days of the dead man, another mystery is revealed: the disappearance of Lizzie Biddick, a pretty young girl who worked as a maid for the Bottrell family.
Gradually, bitter family feuds and secret illicit relationships are uncovered - and then another body shatters the pastoral peace of the Cornish estate for ever...
Why readers love W.J. Burley:
'First-class, old-time, hyper-ingenious whodunit.' Observer
'You can always count on Wycliffe ... he inevitably guarantees a good story, convincing characters and appealing landscape ' Financial Times
'Wycliffe teases out the truth with delicate skill that leaves the reader intrigued and convinced.' Mail on Sunday
'Gripping.' The Times
Fans of Ruth Rendell, Val McDermid and Peter Robinson will love W.J. Burley:
1. Wycliffe and the Three-Toed Pussy
2. Wycliffe and How to Kill a Cat
3. Wycliffe and the Guilt Edged Alibi
4. Wycliffe and Death in a Salubrious Place
5. Wycliffe and Death in Stanley Street
6. Wycliffe and the Pea-Green Boat
7. Wycliffe and the School Bullies
8. Wycliffe and the Scapegoat
9. Wycliffe in Paul's Court
10. Wycliffe's Wild Goose Chase
11. Wycliffe and the Beales
12. Wycliffe and the Four Jacks
13. Wycliffe and the Quiet Virgin
14. Wycliffe and the Winsor Blue
15. Wycliffe and the Tangled Web
16. Wycliffe and the Cycle of Death
17. Wycliffe and the Dead Flautist
18. Wycliffe and the Last Rites
19. Wycliffe and the Dunes Mystery
20. Wycliffe and the House of Fear
21. Wycliffe and the Redhead
22. Wycliffe and the Guild of Nine
* Each Inspector Wycliffe novel can be read as part of a series or as a standalone*