A family feud leads to murder - and Superintendent Wycliffe is on the case...
Caroline Bryce came from the top of the social register in the tranquil town of Treen. So it was quite a scandal when her body was dragged from the bottom of the river.
As Superintendent Wycliffe investigates, he is faced with a number of questions: who would want to kill the beautiful Mrs Bryce? Was it a lover's quarrel? Or a family feud? Or a long-held resentment which had suddenly exploded in a moment of madness?
As Wycliffe begins to unravel an intricate tangle of love and hate, he finds himself on the trail of a psychotic killer who feels no guilt - and will not hesitate to strike again...
Why readers love W.J. Burley:
'First-class, old-time, hyper-ingenious whodunit.' Observer
'You can always count on Wycliffe ... he inevitably guarantees a good story, convincing characters and appealing landscape ' Financial Times
'Wycliffe teases out the truth with delicate skill that leaves the reader intrigued and convinced.' Mail on Sunday
'Gripping.' The Times
Fans of Ruth Rendell, Val McDermid and Peter Robinson will love W.J. Burley:
1. Wycliffe and the Three-Toed Pussy
2. Wycliffe and How to Kill a Cat
3. Wycliffe and the Guilt Edged Alibi
4. Wycliffe and Death in a Salubrious Place
5. Wycliffe and Death in Stanley Street
6. Wycliffe and the Pea-Green Boat
7. Wycliffe and the School Bullies
8. Wycliffe and the Scapegoat
9. Wycliffe in Paul's Court
10. Wycliffe's Wild Goose Chase
11. Wycliffe and the Beales
12. Wycliffe and the Four Jacks
13. Wycliffe and the Quiet Virgin
14. Wycliffe and the Winsor Blue
15. Wycliffe and the Tangled Web
16. Wycliffe and the Cycle of Death
17. Wycliffe and the Dead Flautist
18. Wycliffe and the Last Rites
19. Wycliffe and the Dunes Mystery
20. Wycliffe and the House of Fear
21. Wycliffe and the Redhead
22. Wycliffe and the Guild of Nine
* Each Inspector Wycliffe novel can be read as part of a series or as a standalone*