An ancient legend, an all-too modern murder, and Chief Superintendent Wycliffe must find the link between them ...
Every year, at Halloween, high on the Cornish cliffs, a life-sized effigy of a man is strapped to a blazing wheel and run into the sea - a re-enactment of a hideous old legend where the figure had been a living sacrifice.
And now Jonathan Riddle, well-known and respected local builder and undertaker, has disappeared - and it seems all too likely that his corpse has gone the way of the historic 'scapegoat'.
As Chief Superintendent Wycliffe begins to investigate, more and more unpleasant facts emerge until he is left with an incredible, and seemingly impossible, solution . . .
Why readers love W.J. Burley:
'First-class, old-time, hyper-ingenious whodunit.' Observer
'You can always count on Wycliffe ... he inevitably guarantees a good story, convincing characters and appealing landscape ' Financial Times
'Wycliffe teases out the truth with delicate skill that leaves the reader intrigued and convinced.' Mail on Sunday
'Gripping.' The Times
Fans of Ruth Rendell, Val McDermid and Peter Robinson will love W.J. Burley:
1. Wycliffe and the Three-Toed Pussy
2. Wycliffe and How to Kill a Cat
3. Wycliffe and the Guilt Edged Alibi
4. Wycliffe and Death in a Salubrious Place
5. Wycliffe and Death in Stanley Street
6. Wycliffe and the Pea-Green Boat
7. Wycliffe and the School Bullies
8. Wycliffe and the Scapegoat
9. Wycliffe in Paul's Court
10. Wycliffe's Wild Goose Chase
11. Wycliffe and the Beales
12. Wycliffe and the Four Jacks
13. Wycliffe and the Quiet Virgin
14. Wycliffe and the Winsor Blue
15. Wycliffe and the Tangled Web
16. Wycliffe and the Cycle of Death
17. Wycliffe and the Dead Flautist
18. Wycliffe and the Last Rites
19. Wycliffe and the Dunes Mystery
20. Wycliffe and the House of Fear
21. Wycliffe and the Redhead
22. Wycliffe and the Guild of Nine
* Each Inspector Wycliffe novel can be read as part of a series or as a standalone*